This is free art – it is under a Creative Commons Attribution License.
Flying Turbo Fish
This art pack was created by Holly Jensen, who is currently accepting contracting jobs for mobile apps and games! You can contact her at email@example.com, or check out her portfolio at http://hollyjensen.carbonmade.com.
There have been several requests for more art for side-scrolling games, especially characters with jet packs!
Holly loved that idea, and came up with a cool goldfish character that escapes his pond and goes for a jaunt.
He’s got turbo jetpacks to fly around with, enemies and objects to avoid, and even coins and bonuses to collect!
You’ll also find a repeatable background with an alternate variation, as well as background objects to add randomly to create more variation within the levels. Read on to see the whole pack!
Suggested Game Play
The main character, a goldfish with some awesome turbo jets, flies through the level powered by the user’s taps. The more the player taps, the higher he flies.
The user navigates him up and down this way, tapping to make him go higher or letting him fall to go lower. This fish is perfectly capable of “walking”, too – if he falls to the ground (the darker green foreground) he will drag himself along until the user taps again!
He must avoid obstacles such as crabs on the ground or lasers and blue jays in the air, and collect coins. If he hits an obstacle, he dies. If he nabs one of the lightning bugs, he gets a boost and his jets change color (it’s up to you what the actual boost is – going faster, becoming invincible, etc).
You could also use the this set in a Mario-esque scroller game, or use the background and objects to create a level for a different gameplay. You can flip any of the character sprites horizontally if you want them to face another direction.
Game Pack Contents
All of the following art is offered in two sizes: iPhone retina, and iPad retina. You can resize them as you wish!
- Repeatable backgrounds – two variations to alternate between
- Goldfish character – includes sprites for walking, flying, and dying.
- Turbo jets and flames – a regular one and an extra cool blue one!
- Background objects to add variety to your levels: 2 clouds, 2 grasses, a tree, and a bush
- Obstacle: a rock for your fish to avoid when walking
- Bluejay – 3 sprites to animate flying
- Crab – 3 sprites to animate walking
- A coin
- Lightning bug – 2 sprite animation of a glowy bug; makes a great boost item to catch!
- Laser beams: 2 ends and a stretchable cross-section
- Pond scene with splash animation: a pond sprite, and a three-sprite splashing animation for use at the beginning of the level, for the fish to jump out of!
- Mockups – so you can see how things go together.
- An extra huge goldfish sprite for use in app store icons!
And if you need custom art for your own game or app and want to hire Holly Jensen, the artist who made this art pack, contact her directly!