This is free art – it is under a Creative Commons Attribution License.
Type: iPhone, iPhone Retina, iPad
Download the art here, or read on for an explanation.
This game pack is an isometric view tile set, and is not to be confused with the War Tanks game pack, which is a top-down tile set. :]
Unlike most of the free art sets on the site, this pack contains both regular and retina sized sprites, so that you don’t have to do the resizing yourself.
Suggested Game Play
The idea is an isometric turn-based strategy game. Each player has control of one army, composed of units with specific abilities (two types of tanks, a helicopter, foot soldiers). They are trying to defeat the other player’s army and/or capture their opponent’s headquarters.
The game pack could also be used for an isometric action game, since the units have sprites that face all four directions rather than just right and left.
Game Pack Contents
There are two types of background tiles, two landscape objects, several units for each army, and some UI components. Also included are six fonts that go with the game’s UI.
- Grass: a single sprite, repeatable.
- Water: 20 sprites, with grass edges. You should be able to make most configurations with these, although you may need to layer the corners over top in order to connect all the edges properly.
UI and Gameplay Components
- Attack crosshair
- Move cursor
- Toolbar for iPhone – see mockup at beginning of post.
- Toolbar button
- Popup menu background
- Display Box to show player’s turn, gold accumulated, etc.
- Button: Use wherever you need one!
Each of these comes in red and blue.
- Tank 1: 4 sprites
- Tank 2: 4 sprites
- Foot Soldier: 4 sprites
- Helicopter: 4 sprites
- Headquarters: 1 sprite (shown up above with the landscape elements)
- Explosion animation: 7 sprites! There’s an animated GIF in the ZIP file so you can see it put together.
- Game-Over screens: one for victory, one for defeat, and one blank victory screen for putting the text of your choice in the center (as in “Player One Wins!”)
- Fonts: a dark font in two sizes, and a silver font. These can be used on the various UI components so that they match the overall feel of the game.