9 February 2012

Free iPhone/iPad Game Art: Tower Defense Robot World!

This is free art to use in any personal or commercial project. The art was made by Oray Studios if you would like to contact them or credit them!

Type: iPhone retina

Download the art here, or read on for an explanation.

Tower Defense Robot World

Tower defense free game art for iPad and iPhone

Robots attacking robots... complete with explosions!

It’s about time we had another free set of game art around here!

This time we have a great set of art by Oray Studios. It was made for an upcoming tutorial on the Ray Wenderlich blog.

The set contains attacking and defending robots straight out of a science fiction world, geared towards a Tower Defense game.

In this game pack you will find moving robots, rotatable towers, bullets, explosions, and a background. The vantage point is a 3/4 view, so each robot has sprites for moving up, down, right, and left (and since they are animated, multiple sprites for each direction), and each tower can face and shoot in 8 directions.

Suggested Game Play

The idea behind this game pack was a Tower Defense game: There is a path along which enemies will travel, and the player must place their towers along the path in a way that allows the towers to kill the enemies before the enemies reach the end of the path.

The art is done at a 3/4 view, so you could use the robots and towers in any game that needs that kind of art. For example, use the enemy robots to bedevil your character in a multi-directional scrolling game!

Game Pack Contents

The sprites are sized for the iPhone retina screens, so for regular iPhones just scale these sprites down 50%.

Each enemy and tower sprite is 118×118 pixels. If you download the pack, you will also find gifs that show you what each character should look like when animated.

Enemies

Enemy 1 Sprite Sheet Free game art

Enemy 1 Sprite Sheet

Here’s enemy #1, a leggy spider-esque automaton.

As you can see, there are three sprites to animate walking in each direction.

Enemy #2, below is not animated and has only 4 sprites, one for each direction.

Enemy #3, also below, is animated with two sprites for each direction.

Enemy 2 Sprite Sheet free game art

Enemy 2 Sprite Sheet

Enemy 3 Sprite Sheet free game art

Enemy 3 Sprite Sheet

Towers

There are three towers for this set, all in coordinating chrome and red. Each one points in all eight directions (up, down, left, right, and the four corners).

Tower 1 Sprite Sheet free game art

Tower 1 Sprite Sheet

Tower 2 Sprite Sheet free game art

Tower 2 Sprite Sheet

Tower 3 Sprite Sheet free game art

Tower 3 Sprite Sheet

Extras

Along with the three enemies and the three towers, you get bullets and HUD icons for each tower.

You also get an explosion animation, a health bar, and a background.

Explosion-Sprite-Sheet

Make enemies explode!

Enjoy!

As always, I LOVE to hear about what games you make with the free art on this site – if you finish a game with it, send me an email via my Contact page or direct message me on twitter!

Category: Free Art, Game Art

Tags: , ,

20 Comments

1. Badar says:

Hi , what tool is used for drawing sprites, graphics, background … Etc ?

• vwenderlich says:

Hi Badar, I use Adobe Illustrator to create most of my graphics.

• Badar says:

Thank you very much , I will start tutorials right now .. I have a game in my mind that needs all effort to be developed.

Am new in game developments , but I would love to try it now.

Many thanks for ur advise

2. Dante says:

Thanks Vwenderlich,
    I will use your sprites for my game. Could you give me another background. This background seem glitzy.

Btw, thank you for your work and keep it up.

3. vwenderlich says:

Hi Dante, what seems to be the problem with the background? It was the only background provided by the artists for the game pack, so there’s a limit to what I can do, but I can try to fix it if you let me know what is wrong with it.

And you are very welcome, I’m glad the sprites will come in handy!

4. Carlos says:

Thanks Vicki… Seems like my first game attempt will be a tower game :)

5. Dante says:

Hi vicki,
    Could you design more background?
    My game have a lot of maps and each one needs a backgound. And one more thing can you design a support tower?

6. vwenderlich says:

@Carlos – great! Can’t wait to see it :]

@Dante – I’m glad you are using the art, but unfortunately I don’t have time to make more than I offer on this website for free. They are meant as a starting point to help save money, but often game-makers will need to add art they find elsewhere, make themselves, or hire out. Try hiring a graphic artist to create some backgrounds for your game – http://jobs.conceptart.org/ is a good place to check. Also, this art pack was created by Oray Studios (www.oraystudios.com), so you could see if they are interested in the work.

If I do have time to make backgrounds that go along with this art, though, I will definitely post them to the website!

7. Hannes says:

Great work!

I’m already integrating those sprites into my new project.
    And they’re awesome.
    Can’t wait for your next free art :)

Greetings from germany

8. LittlePeculiar says:

Hi Vicki, I love this. I’m working on an alien shooter game but was looking for a boss enemy. I think I found it. Thanks again.
    btw- what program would you recommend for creating buttons on a Mac and on a (small) budget?
    You guys are awesome!

9. Arnold Koay says:

Awesome work!!! Thanks for the free art ^^..will try to program a game ( if got time ) with this great art

10. LittlePeculiar says:

Hey Vicki,

I just got my first game approved. I wanted to thank you for your amazing art and for allowing us to use it in our apps. I am in awe of your talents and generosity.

Here’s the link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/alien-soccer/id521866061?ls=1&mt=8

Thanks again.

11. Recently came across this link on twitter and thought it might be useful

12. LittleG8R says:

I Am Making My Game Right Now And Its Gonna Be Cool So Thanks For The Graphics :)

13. shabbir says:

Please provide illustrator file for this

14. edward says:

hi Vicki Wenderlich your graphics are nice……..

15. Thanks for the game art! Needed a project to work on some graphics stuff for Android, so ended up turning it into a game, Space Doom! Eventually it will go up on Google play for free download. You can see the project here :

Thanks again for the sprites!

16. sami daoud says:

I have fallen in love with you vicki , will you marry me