This is free art – it is under a Creative Commons Attribution License.
Type: iPhone retina, iPad (backgrounds provided for both sizes).
Download the art here, or read on for an explanation.
Monkey Platformer Game Art for iPhone and iPad
There once was a monkey, happy as can be in his jungle.
Then random objects started falling from the sky!
Now the monkey has to run and jump and push objects out of his way, or he will end up a smear on a jungle leaf.
It’s a hard life…
If you are a programmer, check out this tutorial on making a Monkey Jump platformer game using this art!
Suggested Game Play
Objects fall from the sky, piling up on each other and threatening to crush our intrepid monkey. Kinda like this game.
The monkey can run and jump and push objects out of his way.
His goal is to make it to the top of the screen without being smashed.
Of course, you can do a lot more with this art – have fun with it! Crop the background if you want a non-scrolling game; use the objects in a memory or puzzle game, etc.
There are images for numbers 0-9 included as well, for scoring or lives or height or whatever.
You will notice that there are two choices of backgrounds: a one-image background for simplicity (background 1), and a cool three-part background if you want to have objects falling among the grass (background 2).
The grass stalks can be layered behind the ground/grass image, with objects in front of the grass stalks or behind them, or both.
Game Pack Contents:
- Monkey character sprites, all 140×168 pixels:
- Standing, happy
- Standing, arms crossed
- Pushing upwards
- Walking left: two-sprite animation
- Walking right: two-sprite animation
- Pushing left: two sprite animation
- Pushing right: two sprite animation
- Jumping left
- Jumping right
- Seven jungle-themed objects:
- Banana bunch
- Explorer hat
- Stone statue/idol
- Background 1: A one-piece background for iPhone retina, size 960×2048 pixels
- Background 2: a three-piece background set for iPhone retina:
- Jungle background, size 960×2048
- Grass stalks strip to go in front of the jungle background and behind the foreground, 960×150
- Ground and grass foreground, 960×150
- Backgrounds 1 and 2 but with a width of 1024 pixels, for iPad use.
- Numbers 0-9
As always, if you make a game with any of the art on this site and want to share, email me at vicki (dot) wenderlich (at) gmail.com with some screenshots!